Surgery Post-Op Instructions
Instructions for post-operative care following surgical endodontics
- 1. Apply an ice bag only on the first day. Use with firm pressure to the face directly over the surgical site. Apply the ice bag alternately 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, for2 hours following surgery. After2 hours, the ice bag can be discontinued. Frequent moist heat applications to the face are recommended on the first and second post-surgical days. Some oozing of blood from the surgical site is normal during the day and evening of surgery. Slight swelling and facial skin discoloration (bruising) may be experienced. This is temporary, and will resolve on its own in a few days.
- 2. Do not brush the surgical area for the first week. Normal oral hygiene (brushing/flossing) for the rest of the mouth should be resumed on the day after surgery.
- 3. Rinse with chlorhexidine. Rinse with one tablespoon (15mL) of chlorhexidine mouth rinse 2-3 times daily until your suture (stitches) removal appointment.
- 4. Take medications as prescribed. Post-surgical discomfort should be minimal, but the surgical site will be tender and sore. For this reason you should follow the analgesic (medicine for pain) regimen prescribed.
- 5. Avoid strenuous activity for the remainder of the day. Routine, non-strenuous activity is not harmful, unless otherwise directed.
- 6. Avoid smoking and alcohol. These can delay the healing process and should be avoided or minimized for 3 days following surgery.
- 7. Avoid manipulation of the facial tissues as much as possible. Do not raise the lip or retract the cheeks to inspect the surgical site as you may dislodge the sutures (stitches).
- 8. Maintain an adequate diet with proper solid and fluid intake during the first 3 days following surgery. In addition to fruit juices, soups and other soft foods, liquid food supplements are recommended.
- 9. The sutures (stitches) that have been placed must be removed to ensure proper healing. It is important that you return at the appointed time for suture removal. This will generally occur in 5-7 days.
- 10. Post-surgical evaluation is important and short appointments will be scheduled to monitor the healing. These will typically occur at 6 and 12 months after your surgery.
- 11. Should any complications arise, do not hesitate to call (562.596.1664).